"Duties came before Rights. The exercise of Rights implies the exercise of Duties"
It shall be the duty of every citizen of India —
(1) To abide by the Constitution and respect its ideals and institutions, the National Flag and the National Anthem;
(2) To cherish and follow the noble ideals which inspired our national struggle for freedom;
(3) To uphold and protect the sovereignty, unity and integrity of India;
(4) To defend the country and render national service when called upon to do so;
(5) To promote harmony and the spirit of common brotherhood amongst all the people of India transcending religious, linguistic and regional or sectional diversities; to renounce practices derogatory to the dignity of women;
(6) To value and preserve the rich heritage of our composite culture;
(7) To protect and improve the natural environment including forests, lakes, rivers and wildlife, and to have compassion for living creatures;
(8) To develop the scientific temper, humanism and the spirit of inquiry and reform;
(9) To safeguard public property and to abjure violence;
(10) To strive towards excellence in all spheres of individual and collective activity so that the nation constantly rises to higher levels of endeavor and achievement;
(11) Who is a parent or guardian to provide opportunities for education to his child or, as the case may be, ward between the age of six and fourteen years.